As more Malaysians continue to work from home, the need for portable workstations are on the rise. If you don’t have a laptop, getting one on short notice will prove to be challenging and costly. However, if you’re a Samsung user, your PC solution may already be in your hands. All you need is a screen and some accessories for a desktop experience. If you have yet to dabble with Samsung Dex, now would be the best time to try it out.
Samsung Dex is available on a number of Galaxy devices including the Note 8 series and above, the S8 series and above, Galaxy Fold and some of the tablets.
There are a few ways to set-up your desktop experience, either using cable or wirelessly. Here’s a quick guide on how to use Samsung’s DeX mode.
Set up and use a DeX cable or HDMI cable
With the DeX cable, you can connect your phone or tablet directly to a monitor without the use of any other accessories.
- First, connect the USB-C end of the DeX Cable to the port on the phone or tablet.
- Then, connect the HDMI end into the monitor's HDMI port.
- If needed, unlock your phone.
- If it's your first time using DeX, a popup message will display on your phone or tablet's ‘Home screen’. Tap ‘Continue’, and then tap ‘Start’ to allow access to Full Desktop mode.
- Next, another Samsung DeX popup will appear on the phone or tablet - tap ‘OK’. Then, swipe down from the top of the screen to open the Notification panel. Tap the notification that says "Use your phone as a touchpad.” Now you can control the monitor's cursor using your device.
Notes: If you want to use a keyboard and a mouse in Samsung DeX, you can connect Bluetooth devices directly to the device. Using wired accessories will be trickier with this mode of connecting.
- To switch from screen mirroring, open the Notification panel by swiping down from the top of the screen. Tap the Samsung DeX notification, and then tap Samsung DeX. The monitor will switch to Samsung DeX mode.
Set up and use a DeX Pad or Station
Note: Because of their size, tablets will not fit in the Pad or Station
Both the DeX Station and the DeX Pad function as USB hubs as well, so you can easily attach wired mice or keyboards, or additional storage systems. Plus, it’s just a more attractive addition to a desk than a simple USB-C hub or single cable. Here’s how to use it:
- First, connect the DeX Pad or Station to the Fast Charging Travel adapter that comes with the phone.
- Connect one end of an HDMI cable to the DeX's HDMI port, and then connect the other end into the monitor's HDMI port.
- If your phone has a case on it, make sure you take it off before connecting because it may cause connection issues.
- Next, dock your phone to the DeX Pad or Station.
- After that, another Samsung DeX popup will appear on the phone or tablet - tap ‘OK’. Then, swipe down from the top of the screen to open the Notification panel. Tap the notification that says "Use your phone as a touchpad.” Now you can control the monitor's cursor using your device.
Set up and use Samsung DeX for PC
Note: This feature is only available on the Galaxy Fold, S10, S20, Note10, and Note20 series. It is not available on Galaxy tablets.
The new DeX for PC app is similar to the regular DeX mode, but it has some other features thrown in, and you can simply use the USB charging cable that came with your phone.
- Attach your device to your computer or laptop with your USB-C cable.
- After attaching for the first time, you’ll have to install the DeX for PC application on your Windows or MacOS device.
- Once the app is installed and your phone is connected, DeX should boot automatically.
- Once DeX is running, you can use it in a window or in full-screen mode.
- While it’s open, you can reply to messages and read notifications from your phone. You can also access files from your phone, and transfer files between both devices by dragging between windows.
Use DeX on a tablet with no external display
Here’s some good news for the Tab S4 and S6 user. They have DeX built right into them. In other words, you can simply use DeX without connecting the tablet to a monitor!
- Just swipe down from the top of the screen to open the Quick settings panel.
- Then, tap the Samsung DeX icon. If it's your first time using this feature, read the instructions and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Then, the DeX interface will load on the tablet the same way it appears on desktops and monitors. You can navigate it using the touch screen.
How to Use Samsung DeX Wirelessly
Note: If your smart TV supports Miracast, you can use your S21, Galaxy S10, Note10, S20, and Note20 devices, as well as the Tab S7, to use Samsung DeX wirelessly.
- First, power on your smart TV.
- Using the remote or the controls on the monitor itself, go to the monitor’s source menu. Then choose screen mirroring.
- On your Galaxy smartphone or any compatible devices, pull down the Quick Panel by dragging down from the top of the screen. Tap the DeX option.
- Then select the TV or monitor you want to connect to.
- On your monitor, you’ll see the DeX logo appear, followed by the DeX homescreen.
- To use your phone as a touchpad, swipe down from the top of the screen and select the touchpad notification.
- You’re all set!
How to Lock and unlock Samsung DeX?
When you're using Samsung DeX, you can lock and unlock it just like you can with your phone. If you use facial recognition to unlock your phone, for example, you'll need to use it to unlock DeX as well.
Today’s smartphones offer enough computing power to complete most work tasks, but the limitations of smaller screens can make it difficult to multitask or do heavier productivity work. Using Samsung DeX with a full-size monitor, keyboard, and mouse, you can be as efficient without having to invest in a PC.
Here at shop.compasia.com, we have a wide range of Galaxy series, a certified pre-owned smartphone with affordable price! Feel free to explore them.
Special promo for this Raya, now going at RM50 off plus FREE extended warranty! Hurry up guys!